El Emmanuel Congregation Temple - 1912 

St. Andrewes African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church - 1949-2001 (razed in 2019) 

117 E. Rayen Ave. Yo., OH 44503

  • Originally established as El Emmanuel Congregation Temple in 1904 by Russian Jewish immigrant families, located on 117 East Rayen Avenue.

  • In 1912, the building was constructed in the Byzantine Revival style to serve as both a place of worship and a school for the congregation.

  • The Emanuel Congregation School, founded in 1907, operated on-site, teaching Hebrew language, religious studies, and secular subjects until 1919, when growing enrollment prompted relocation to nearby school facilities.

  • In 1949, the building was purchased by St. Andrewes African Methodist Episcopal Church, whose congregation traces its origins to 1869 after the Civil War.

  • The church adopted the new name to reflect its relocated identity and opened the building for worship in December 1951.

  • St. Andrewes AME Church served generations of parishioners at this location from 1951 until the building was sold in 2001.

  • The building later changed hands, was abandoned in 2015, and ultimately demolished in 2019.

  • The structure’s layered history embodies Youngstown’s evolving immigrant and African American communities and illustrates how sacred spaces are repurposed, adapted, and remembered over time.

  • Source: History of Youngstown and the Mahoning Valley, J.G. Butler; Youngstown Vindicator


Open for Departure (12x16)

The Final Light (13x20)

Empty but Open (16x12)

Portal to the Past (12x16)

Fading Beauty (16x12)

Sanctuary’s Demise (12x16)

Graceful Ruins (13x20)

Previous
Previous

Basilica of Our Lady of Mount Carmel

Next
Next

Holy Name of Jesus Church